Milestones in Our History
1883-1886 ~ The Beginning
Following the close of the Civil War in 1865, Swedish immigrants flooded to the United States. Many of the immigrants arriving from Sweden during the period 1868-78 remained in the eastern states because of lack of funds to continue their journey to the Midwest…. It did happen that both parents died and left children alone in the new world.
Orphan children became the great concern of the church fathers. They were being raised by strangers who did not teach them the Lutheran faith. The G.A. Children's Home was built as the first united effort of the New York Conference of the Augustana Lutheran Church, with the support of 43 congregations in the conference. The Home was named after King Gustavus Adolphus who laid the foundation of modern Sweden.
The Gustavus Adolphus Children’s Home opens.
1927 ~ Children's Home Transitions
J. Oscar and Lillian Peterson, well known in the community, became Superintendent and Matron of the Home where both had been residents. They set a new direction for the home, as the need for an orphanage diminished and there were fewer orphans to be housed.
1930 ~ Care for the Aged
Lutheran Home for the Aged opens.
In the 1920’s and 30’s it became apparent there was a need for a residential setting for the elderly, who could still care for themselves. Family trends had changed and there were no longer three generations in the home to care for the aged. Five Lutheran Churches of Jamestown and Falconer agreed to support the new endeavor.
1967 ~ A New Infirmary
Hultquist Infirmary is built.
It was funded with a gift from Marguerite Hultquist as a memorial to her departed husband Earle O. Hultquist, to care for those who needed infirmed care as they aged.
1968-1978 ~ Transforming G.A.
The Gustavus Adolphus (G.A.) Children’s Home is rebuilt.
The1960’s were a transition period for the Children’s Home as the Home became a treatment center for youth with family and social challenges. A five section building was erected replacing the original structure.
A stand-alone Gustavus Adolphus Learning Center is constructed.
The construction of the Gustavus Adolphus Learning Center provided a means for a comprehensive program of remedial and special educational opportunities for the members of the Children’s Home program, for grades five through nine. (Presently the Learning Center provides academic opportunities throughout twelfth grade.)
1973 ~ Independent Housing Begins
The first Independent senior housing unit opens, known today as the Hugo A. Lindgren Apartments. Additional apartments and duplexes were added from 1983-2011, which today make up Edgewood Communities.
1981 ~ First Off Campus Subsidized Housing
Dedication of the William B. Anderson Towers, providing the first off campus subsidized apartment building. Today, Lutheran has four buildings in Jamestown and two in Falconer, NY.
1988 ~ First Home for Developmentally Disabled in Rochester
Lutheran opens the first home for the developmentally disabled in Rochester, New York, called Grace Lutheran. Today it is Grace Community Services, which include five homes.
2005-2007 ~ Expansion of Community Based Services – Seniors & Youth
Community based services begin such as Outpatient Rehabilitation, Therapeutic Foster Care, and Senior Life Matters, along with a focus on smaller, traditional style homes for Grace Community Services.
2006-2011 ~ Lutheran Expands Breath of Services
2012 ~ LSS/Lutheran Social Services is Rebranded
LSS/Lutheran Social Services is rebranded to Lutheran to reflect the wide range of services now offered. A tag line: Life Well Lived. Everyday and a new logo are created.